Ever wondered why no matter what you do, those wrinkles seem to be increasing? Why your pores get clogged and complexion is dull? In the quest to look younger, we might actually be doing more harm than good with our daily routines.
Here are those counter-productive habits you might need to stop doing so as to look younger;
- OVER CLEANSING SKIN: a lot of people especially women invest in a lot of skin cleansing products. The gag is using all these might just be stripping your skin off its natural oils, leaving it exposed to drying and aging agents. Fortunately, there are so many organic options out there, even then, it is important you are wise to your skin type and the weather. Most often, it is just enough using baby oil or vaseline to wipe off your makeup and just washing with soap.
- APPLYING TOO MUCH FOUNDATION: the art of makeup is usually incomplete without foundation. For some though, foundation is used to mask whatever blemishes found on the skin, often times leading to a slathering that is so thick and when layered with a generous amount of powder; it gives a pasty look, clumps and settles into creases, making the blemishes such as wrinkles more noticeable, especially in the drier weather and hot sunny weather. It deprives your pores of breathing space and encourages clogging which is not good for the skin.
- NOT USING SUNSCREEN: the sun can be harsh on our skin even on black skin. It brings about patches and speeds up the development of age spots. Using creams containing sun screen suitable to your skin type is vital. Ensure you use every time you need to go out in the sun
- LEAVING EYES UNPROTECTED: the rays of the sun cause us to squint, which brings about creases around our eyes. The skin around our eyes are the most sensitive as that area is thinner than anywhere else. Constant exposure to the sun, makes these creases permanent. Invest in good shade and protect those eyes.
- SMOKING AND ALCOHOL: tobacco and alcohol are de-hydrants. They cause your skin to lose the most needed moisture that keeps skin supple. They are not just bad for your looks, they are also serious health risks
- CRASH DIETING: The sudden quest to lose a certain amount quickly for what ever reason is what is called crash dieting. Crash dieting is never a great idea. It can cause wrinkles and sagging because aging skin, which has less elasticity, doesn’t have time to adjust to the weight loss. Weight management is important for senior health, but avoid fast fixes, invest in a long term solution and try to develop a healthy lifestyle instead.
- SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE: incorporate a routine of activities in your daily schedule. Exercise and mobility is vital in keeping aging at bay. It can be as simple as walking 30 minutes daily. Whatever you do, make sure you are active. Do not become a couch potato as it puts you at risk to illnesses such as diabetes.
- BEARING GRUDGES: mental health or emotional wellness is equally as important in determining how you age. When you let go of grudges and move on, you reduce the stress, depression, anxiety and blood pressure in your life. Fill your thoughts with positivity, soon enough you are radiating it and you find you naturally smile more and frown less. This greatly reduces the appearance of wrinkles. A genuinely happy person ages very well.
- AN UNHEALTHY DIET: to look younger, one of the best things you can do is boost your diet with lots of healthy choices such as fruits, vegetables,, fish, whole grains and water. they contribute to bringing a radiance and glow to your skin that no cream can. They also moisturize your skin from within, so it is less susceptible to aging agents.
- INSUFFICIENT SLEEP: the older we get, the more important a good sleep regimen is. Insufficient sleep can bring about crankiness and reduces productivity which can lead to stress. And we all know, stress has so many symptoms, some of which are poor skin and wrinkles. It can also boost weight gain which is a big no-no when it comes to your health. See your doctor if you consistently have challenges sleeping well.
Looking younger does not have to be a hassle or expensive either. All it takes is a lifestyle change. Incorporate positive choices and see how you glow, youthfully.